Contact Us for a detailed course description.
This course aims to provide a technical overview of the main cellular technologies 2G (GSM), 3G (UMTS), 4G (LTE) and 5G in one package. It provides a clear view of the most important aspects of cellular communication technologies and how the principles are applied within the different generations as networks evolve from providing basic GSM services, through to supporting an increasingly complex set of connection requirements and services.
Who would benefit
This course is suitable for engineering, technical sales, technical management and other staff who require a general technical overview of mobile technologies but who do not need to invest the time necessary to learn about each technology in depth.
A basic understanding of telecoms principles would be beneficial.
Topic areas include
- An overview of basic radio and cellular techniques and technologies
- Network Generations from 2G to 5G
- 3GPP Release programme
- An overview of 2G (GSM) network architecture and functionality
- GSM TDMA air interface operating principles
- GPRS and EDGE upgrades to GSM
- GSM services
- TETRA networks
- An overview of 3G (UMTS) network architecture and functionality
- UMTS WCDMA air interface operating principles
- HSPA and HSPA+ upgrades to UMTS
- An overview of 4G (LTE) network architecture and functionality
- LTE OFDMA air interface operating principles
- Evolved Packet Core (EPC) operation
- Small cells and heterogeneous networks
- Self Organising Networks (SON)
- LTE voice options
- LTE Advanced and LTE Advanced Pro
- Wi-Fi/Cellular interworking
- LTE operation in unlicensed frequency bands
- Machine Type Communications (MTC)
- LTE for public safety
- Introduction to 5G
- 3GPP use cases for 5G
- Performance targets for 5G
- Radio Spectrum for 5G
- 5G OFDMA air interface
- 5G System Architecture
- Non Standalone (NSA) and Standalone (SA) New Radio (NR)
- 5G Core Network Functions
CPD Certification Service
The CPD Certification Service is the independent CPD accreditation centre working across all sectors, disciplines and further learning applications, supporting the Continuing Professional Development policies of institutions and professional organisations globally.
CPD resources are assessed and accredited impartially against a comprehensive checklist developed over the past 20 years, ensuring that they conform to universal CPD guidelines and provide the best possible resources to support learners in any subject.
We can arrange classroom training, one to one training, or online training to suit your requirements. Learn more
We are pleased to be associated with some unique training locations in the UK and further afield. Learn more