A technical overview of the billing and charging architecture defined for 4G LTE networks, including a review of LTE bearer, traffic flow and QoS concepts. The course goes on to examine the architecture of the billing system, both online and offline and identifies the key nodes, interfaces and protocols employed to transport billing and charging information. Finally, the interactions with the billing system during basic LTE procedures are outlined.
Who would benefit
Engineers, designers, managers and others involved in the development, deployment or operation of LTE billing and charging systems.
Familiarity with the LTE Evolved Packet Core is assumed. Experience of 2G or 3G billing systems would be beneficial.
Topic areas include
- Review of EPS bearer concepts and LTE QoS models
- Packet flows, service data flows and traffic flow aggregates
- Deep packet inspection – heuristic algorithms and bearer-aware applications
- Outline of policy and charging control
- LTE billing and charging concepts
- Flow-based charging
- Billing architecture
- Online and offline charging systems
- Charging data capture points (S-GW, PDN-GW)
- IMS charging capture points
- Charging Data Function (CDF)
- Protocols – Diameter, CAP
- Interfaces – Gy, Gz, Rf, Ro and others
- Charging criteria – time-based, volume-based, application-based
- CDR formats
- CDR generation
- Charging interaction with basic LTE procedures
We can arrange classroom training, one to one training, or online training to suit your requirements. Learn more
We are pleased to be associated with some unique training locations in the UK and further afield. Learn more