This course is a detailed technical description of the air interface for the 5G New Radio. It covers the principles of millimetre wave and multiple antenna communications, the architecture and implementation of the air interface’s physical layer, the higher layer air interface protocols, and the signalling procedures for idle and active 5G devices.
Who would benefit
The course is intended for engineers and other staff who are involved with equipment design, operation, optimization or monitoring on the 5G air interface.
An engineering background with some knowledge of general radio principles and digital radio systems is assumed. A basic understanding of 5G and experience of LTE radio systems would be desirable.
Topic areas include
- 5G introduction, use cases and standardisation
- Radio spectrum and millimetre wave communications
- Principles and implementation of multiple antennas in 5G
- Architecture of the air interface physical layer
- Details and implementation of the 5G physical, transport and logical channels
- Air interface procedures for synchronisation, scheduling, data transmission, feedback and random access
- Dual connectivity architecture and protocol stacks
- Protocols in layer 2 of the air interface: MAC, RLC, PDCP and SDAP
- RRC signalling procedures in Idle, Inactive and Connected modes
We can arrange classroom training, one to one training, or online training to suit your requirements. Learn more
We are pleased to be associated with some unique training locations in the UK and further afield. Learn more